|The crispy tofu is delicious on a bed of brown rice and stir-fried veggies|
400-450g firm tofu (or make your own with 3l unsweetened soya milk)
For the marinade:
5 tabs soy or tamari sauce
1 tsp fresh ginger, grated
2 tabs lemon juice
For the coating:
3 tabs wholemeal flour
3 tabs millet (aka bajri/ ragi) flour or fine cornmeal
2 tsps powdered ginger
2 tsps garam masala or Chinese five-spice powder
1 tsp seasalt
For the sweet and sour sauce:
100g fresh pineapple, cut into very small pieces
3 tabs agave nectar
2 tabs soy/ tamari sauce
1 tab lemon juice
2 tsps paprika
1 tsp seasalt
1/3 tsp coarse black pepper
- Mix the marinade ingredients together and pour into a shallow dish. Cube the tofu and marinate for as long as you can spare- a minimum of 20 minutes, turning it at least once.
- Meanwhile, mix the coating ingredients together in another shallow dish.
- To make the sauce, just stir all the sauce ingredients together in a saucepan and heat through gently.
- When the tofu has been sitting in the marinade for a while coat the tofu in the flour mixture and place on a lightly oiled baking tray. Cook in an oven preheated to 200C until browned; shake or turn the pieces from time to time.
- When the tofu is done and the sauce is hot, just serve together with some veggies and rice or noodles for a complete meal.
Possible Future Tweaks: Use a flax egg to stick the coating to the tofu and add extra nutrition. Make it a gluten free recipe by using millet and cornmeal and tamari sauce. Add chilli to the sauce for a spicier kick...
|The original version- click here to read the post|
This post is for Vegan Thursdays: